Seniors Close Out High School Experience With Awards Celebrations

On Thursday, May 6th, Marriotts Ridge will be holding a celebration for the senior class.
There will be two events throughout this day held at the MRHS Stadium, the first being an award ceremony starting at 9:00 AM and ending 11:00 AM. These events are held to shine light on the students who have received awards, whether that being a scholarship, an academic award, honors, or even sports/captain awards.
“Attire for this event is dress up or business casual (students will not be wearing graduation gowns),” Mrs. Rashid said. Students should wear presentable attire, seeing that they might be one to receive an award. The event is being held outdoors and students will be sitting six feet apart, with masks required.
For the students that have been selected to get an award, invitations have been sent to their families. However, “due to social distancing requirements, only two family members of students who are being recognized are allowed/invited to attend in person,” Mrs. Rashid said.
For those family members who will not be attending, they can watch the ceremony on FacebookLive on the “MRHS Mustang Athletics” page.
Later that evening there will be a celebration for the seniors at the MRHS Stadium and Fields, which will start at 6:00 PM and end at 9:00 PM. There will also be a check in from 6:00-6:30 PM; this is a way to make sure that the staff and school knows how many people will be attending and exactly who is there. Students should wear their college or future plans merch to the celebration, as well as a mask. There will be a plethora of activities present during the celebration.
“Activities include DJ, tie dying, outdoor sports, field day games, senior superlatives, class video, PTSA After Prom prizes and events,” Mrs. Rashid said. This gives the senior students a day to celebrate themselves and each other, as their high school experience comes to a close.
As for graduation, the ceremony will be held at Merriweather Post Pavilion on Wednesday, June 2nd at 11:00 AM.
Each student will have 2 tickets to give to family members or friends that they would like to bring. The graduation will also be live streamed for people who will not be attending the in-person ceremony. For the safety of the school system, it is thought that it would be best to reduce the number of people allowed at the graduation venue.
Although there are some alterations to how these senior events would regularly go, at least the Class of 2021 is given the chance to experience some normalcy to cap off their unique senior year.