Touring For Colleges

Many students go on college tours during their junior and senior years in order to experience what it is like to be at the college campus they plan on going after the fall season of their senior year. Though the pandemic changed college tours, many prospective students continue to arrive at campuses and tour, either in a physical or virtual sense.
For many people, a higher education is considered to be a great achievement and is highly valued. In the United States, 63% percent of students go to college or apply to college after they graduate. College tours are very useful, as they can help students understand the principles of the college and what special resources they have to offer.
A college campus can often be difficult to navigate for both its residential students and potential freshmen. A college campus can often be difficult to navigate for both its residential students and potential. College tours are very helpful to those issues. These days, most seniors and juniors interested in college seem to be going to campuses by themselves rather than through school guidance.
“Because most students go on a college tour on their own, usually the school has no information but quite a lot of students go on a tour,” counselor Ms. Little said.
Deciding which college to tour is cited by many to be the most difficult part of touring colleges. Whether it be an ivy league school or state university, the options for a senior looking for post-graduate schools are endless. As such, it’s incredibly important for one to know which schools to focus on.
“I want to go to the University of Maryland, which I know doesn’t sound very smart,” junior Garrett Weibking said.
No matter what college you select, going on a tour is still important, whether it be virtually or physically. For many Marriotts Ridge High School students, physical tours are more fulfilling, more helpful in learning about their colleges.
“The physical tour is much more efficient because you can actually get to see the school. After all, learning how the school feels is very important,” senior Maya said.
Besides familiarizing oneself with the college atmosphere, physical tours can also be the deciding factor into whether or not one should apply to a certain school.
“I prefer physical tours because you get to see that school and can decide whether you really want to go or not,” junior Weibking said.
Instead of in person tours, there are still those who choose to go on virtual tours based on their focus on avoiding the COVID-19 virus.
“I would rather go on a virtual tour since I wouldn’t risk getting covid,” junior Kyle Owens said.
An almost mandatory process for most seniors at MRHS, the procedure of going through college applications is known for being an arduous task. Taking the crucial step of going on college tours can be nerve racking, but the benefits one reaps from them are substantial.