Rockefeller Center Features a Maryland Tree for the First Time

Viewing the largest Christmas tree in New York City is often considered the worldwide symbol of Christmas in many places, but many people don’t know if it’s humble origins. The tree’s original purpose was to spread holiday cheer and hope throughout the stock market crash of the 1930s. Most people in that era couldn’t afford to have their tree in their house, so a large group of people came together, purchased a twenty-foot tree, and put it in the old Rockefeller Center in 1931. They decorated the tree with cranberries, paper, and tin cans. This went on for two more years before it was officially named a New York City holiday tradition in 1933.
Now after eighty-nine years of the tradition the tree is finally from Maryland for the very first time. The tree was discovered in Elkton, it was spotted in March and was donated by the Price family, whose house property contained the tree. The Norway Spruce stands at about seventy-nine feet tall, twenty-six feet wide, and weighs around twelve tons. The tree is estimated to be around ninety years old. Erik Pauzé usually scouts the trees out ahead of the Christmas season and stumbled upon the tree in Maryland by accident. He was driving by and saw the top of the tree over someone’s garage. Usually, trees are selected one to three years before the current Christmas celebration, that way they can have multiple tree options in case something happens to one of them. He decided that the tree from Maryland was the best pick for Christmas this year.
Some students believed that the tree would not improve Maryland’s popularity. “I don’t think most people know [that the tree] is from Maryland.” sophomore Aaila Hameed said
While others believe that this type of publicity will be good for the state. Maryland hasn’t been in the national spotlight for a festive reason like this before so it’ll drive some much deserved positive press towards the region.
Most students have seen the tree in person before this year, no one was especially interested in revisiting the tree just because it was from Maryland.
“The tree being from Maryland wouldn’t make me want to go to New York any more than I do right now. I wouldn’t care too much if something from my state was being represented in a more famous or popular state,” sophomore Amulya Mandalika said.
Even if you can’t visit the tree in person you can still view the Rockefeller Tree Lighting Ceremony that aired on television on December first. Although, people who have viewed the tree in the past would recommend that you see it in real life at least once. “It’s very pretty and a lot larger in person, seeing it on T.V is completely different.” stated Mandalika, who saw the tree in previous years.
This tree is just the start of Maryland’s recognition in other states. Hopefully, Maryland will have more time to shine in the near future.