The Boosters Program Serves Up Tradition With the Return of the Pancake Breakfast

On the morning before Homecoming, October 15, 2022, the parent-run Marriotts Ridge High School Boosters Program hosted its first annual Pancake Breakfast. From 9 AM to 12 PM in the cafeteria, students, families, and staff wrapped up spirit week by devouring pancakes and participating in fun activities.
The event featured performances from the Marriotts Ridge Theater Mamma Mia cast, the MRHS Jazz Ensemble and a ping-pong tournament.
The morning fundraiser was open to everyone in the Marriotts Ridge community so students could continue to enjoy their Homecoming Spirit Week.
“As a pancake connoisseur, the Pancake Breakfast was a great kickoff to Homecoming morning,” senior Frank Rhodes said. “A lot of students were there, and it made it seem like another spirit day.”
The Boosters Program decided to resume hosting the tradition since other schools in Howard County held similar annual events during their Homecoming week.
“We know that other schools have very successful pancake breakfasts, and we are always looking for ways to bring our school community together while trying to raise money for the school at the same time,” Ms. Delmonte, president of The Boosters Program, said.
The Boosters Program supports all student activities, including sports team fees, play rights for theater performances, senior awards, the music program, student clubs, the AfterProm venue, and speakers throughout the academic year. In addition to student activities, they have funded major projects to benefit the school, including the new auditorium sound system, bottle fillers at the water fountains, and the Mustang statue at the stadium.
To finance these projects that benefit students, The Boosters need as many funds as possible. The Pancake Breakfast is not the only fundraiser that The Boosters have planned and implemented for the academic year.
“Sales at the concession stands and Hitching Post (including spiritwear) are big fundraisers that continue throughout the year,” Ms. Delmonte said. “We also raise money by selling banners on the field and the gym to corporate sponsors. Our next big event will be our silent auction night in March called Mustang Madness.”
Students are encouraged to sign up for service opportunities through The Boosters website here. The Boosters Program wants to have more student input for future projects.
“We actually have $25,000 set aside for a major project and are researching ideas. If any students have ideas they can share them with Mr. Vandenberge or Mr. Reagle as they are on the Booster board,” Ms. Delmonte said. “Every student at MRHS benefits from Boosters.”
Many students agree that The Boosters have invested much to benefit the student community.
“I feel like everything Boosters plans gives students the opportunity to attend school events, which fosters more school spirit,” senior Abby Eldridge stated.
Once again, the Marriotts Ridge Boosters Program excelled in preparing and hosting the traditional Pancake Breakfast. With the return of the school tradition, students could contribute to a better student experience while having fun themselves: eating pancakes and playing games.