Will Students’ New Year’s Resolutions Last?

Many people use the New Year as a chance to make a positive change in their lifestyle. However, a study shows that most of these people will give up their New Year’s resolutions by January 19th, so making them last takes some planning and initiative.
“In the past, I committed to my resolutions by working a bit every day and keeping track of my progress in some way. I also told others about my resolutions so they could help me keep on track throughout the year,” sophomore Zahra Rangoonwala said.
In a year where students leave the house much less frequently, people are looking for new ways to pass their time, and a common resolution is to pick up or keep going with an enjoyable activity.
“My resolution is to keep knitting. I picked it up over the summer and really want to continue,” junior Kayla Donovan said.
Finding a way to relax that’s not scrolling through social media or watching Netflix is a good habit to get into. Dedicating even just a few minutes each day to practicing a hobby is an easy resolution to maintain.
These resolutions can include hobbies, but they often expand to activities students are more passionate about.
“My New Year’s Resolution for this year is to expand my knowledge of dance,” sophomore Aidan Burnham said. “I believe my resolutions will last this year because of how dedicated and determined I am with dance arts.”
Students who want to better themselves at something they really enjoy can be good motivation to continue pursuing a goal.
Many students have academic New Year’s resolutions. In an era of online school, it can be hard to focus and have the same learning experience that is achieved in person.
“I made the resolution to concentrate more in my classes and do my homework as soon as possible,” sophomore Amy Duh said.
Trying not to procrastinate schoolwork can be difficult when everyone is already on the computer all day and in need of a break.
“I am not sure my resolution will last because I can be lazy and get distracted a lot,” said Duh.
Being in the classroom is often motivation for students to concentrate and get their work done, but being in the house can provide additional distractions and make it more challenging to accomplish this resolution.
In addition to smaller goals, like doing work in a timely manner, some students’ resolutions are more focused on preparing for their future.
“I want to get a good SAT score when I have to take it, so I’m studying right now and trying my best to do well so I can get into a good college,” sophomore Isabel Mathews said.
Preparing for future tasks may prevent some of the stress that happens around the time of exams, but it can also be a hard resolution to maintain because there is no immediate reward.
One of the most common New Year’s resolutions is to get into better shape, whether it is by exercising more frequently or eating healthier foods.
“My resolution is to keep myself healthy. I have been doing body weight exercises and using an elliptical that my family has,” sophomore Frank Rhodes said.
This can be one of the most difficult resolutions to maintain because it is often hard to resist the temptation of junk foods and find the time and energy to exercise. The pandemic has added to the challenge of keeping up this resolution by limiting activity and time outside.
“There are no winter sports to motivate me, and I do not feel comfortable going out because of [the pandemic],” said Rhodes.
Although maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be extremely challenging, it can be a doable resolution if students set specific goals for themselves.
The enjoyableness of a resolution will definitely have an impact on whether it will last or not. This unusual time can make it even more difficult to maintain a resolution, so if students feel strongly about maintaining their goal, they may need to carefully plan it into their schedule so it will last.