Ramadan Through The Eyes of Marriotts Ridge Students

Ramadan is the ninth month in the Islamic calendar where Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset to show discipline, worship and self-reflection. Ramadan is special for Muslims since the ninth month is when the Quran, holy book in Islam, was introduced.
Muslims fast for the entire month of Ramadan. The fasting begins right before sunrise and lasts throughout the entire day until after the sun sets. People who celebrate have many different traditions for this holy month.
“Some things me and my family do during this month are reciting as much of the Quran as we can and praying Taraweeh [a special prayer only prayed in Ramadan],” freshman Shaila Uddin said.
Suhoor/Sehri is the meal that people eat before the sun rises. This meal has to be carefully planned out because it needs to keep one who’s fasting full for the entire day.
“We eat yogurt and drink a lot of water too. My brothers tend to eat foods with more protein in it to allow them to have energy throughout the day,” junior and Muslim Student Association President Zarmeen Javed said.
When the sun sets, the Muslims eat Iftar, the meal that breaks the fast. One’s fast must be broken with either a date or water. Unlike Sehri, there is a large variety of foods eaten for Iftar.
“Our family doesn’t really have a set plan for Iftar. We just eat whatever is made, and we make sure to eat enough to fulfill all the nutrients we’ve missed throughout the day,” junior Abdullah Khan said.
To conclude the end of Ramadan, Muslims participate in Eid, which is celebrated to mark the end of the holy month. In the Islamic calendar there are two Eids. This Eid is called Eid al-Fitr or the Holiday of Breaking the Fast.
In the morning of Eid al-Fitr, everyone gets together to pray; then different celebrations take place throughout the day with friends and family. Many people celebrate Eid differently; some cultures celebrate Eid for three days while some only celebrate for one day.
After the day is officially over, Muslims have finished fasting and the ninth month of the Islamic calendar is over.
Ramadan is the most sacred month for the whole Muslim community and is celebrated worldwide. Different communities come together for one big celebration at the end of the month and celebrate in many different ways, whether with family or relaxing at home.